Friday, January 15, 2010

Qualifying Exams

As most of you know, I'm the eternal student...I'm pursuing my doctorate at the moment, and while I only have 5 courses left (yippeee!) I still have many other obligations before I make you all call me "Dr. Nuckolls"... :)

One of these obligations is my qualifying exams...which begin today. It's basically two research proposals on the same topic, one done qualitatively and the other quantitatively. It's pretty huge, and I'm even taking off work half days next week to spend time working on it. It's due back to my department Feb. 1, so from now until then, I'll be out of pocket a bit.

This is one of those obstacles that I always knew would eventually get here, but always seemed so far away to even think about realistically. I'm almost done with my third year, if (I mean WHEN...) I pass quals, I'll finish up this spring semester, I take a course in May, I begin my proposal for my disseration, I defend that proposal, I take a course in the summer, I begin collecting data for my dissertation, I write said dissertation...and then I'll have a doctorate in educational leadership with an emphasis in mass communications...whew, one day one day!!

3 comments:

Matthew and Emily Clothier said...

You will be great! Good luck!

Kara said...

While actually writing the dissertation is probably the biggest, most time consuming part of it all, this is the one I remember as being the hardest- ugh. Someone else grading, much shorter time period, stress, stress, stress, but then you feel SO much better when its done! That's when I began to realize I really WAS going to be able to finish everything. In two weeks, you're going to be so happy! And I will dutifully address all future correspondence to Dr. Nuckolls. :)

Nakia Guzman said...

So, have you already finish your PhD dissertation, Kelsey? I totally agree with you that there are a lot of obstacles in the field before anyone can finally graduate, and the PhD dissertation was really one of them. But, hearing how determined you are, I bet you successfully defended you dissertation.