Tuesday, April 6, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

So I know I really don't ask for much.

But a little appreciation would be nice.  Just every once in a while.

And I'm not talking about D here.  That's one area of my life where I know my efforts are always appreciated.

Since 2002, I have been an advisor in some capacity to the sorority.  I started at OU, worked for the National office as a graduate counselor, and then when I came back to Stillwater, I inevitably became my collegiate chapter's advisor.  I have since stepped down from that role, but I have been the recruitment advisor now for three years.  I have always loved recruitment, and I look forward to it each August.  I love it so much that I would do both OSU's rush, and then immediately drive down to Norman and help them finish theirs.  I have made some amazing friends and connections during these times, and I would not trade it for anything.  I actually enjoy the sleepless two weeks, undergraduate girl drama involving someone somewhere not getting their way, and the deliriously funny stories I hear at 3am on the back porch while waiting for the bid list to be posted.

But, contrary to what many of the undergraduates believe, I do not get paid for this job.  It's completely volunteer.

Which means, I sacrifice my time, energy and real full-time job to help them out and make sure they do recruitment correctly, get whom they want in the house, and most importantly, make quota.

I do not do this for the rolled eyes when I tell them no food or drink in selection session, the looks of disbelief when they are told that if they didn't make grades they are not allowed to vote, or the complete lack of disrespect for not only my knowledge on all things recruitment, but also all things for the sorority, but too my position as their advisor.

And for all the alumnae out there reading this, you might know where this is headed.

And for the collegiates that may come across this: GET YOUR ASS OUT OF THE CHAIR WHEN I, OR ANY OTHER ALUMNA, WALK IN THE ROOM.

I'm not asking for much.  It's not as though I have ever received a thank you card for my efforts, flowers on alumnae skit night for my contributions, or a verbal thank you from any one other than the recruitment chairs or presidents.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not that nazi alumna requiring everyone to stand when I go to the house.

But if you see me, recognize that I am not a collegiate member, carrying a large bag as though I'm going to a meeting, and continue to eat your dinner and stare at me when I walk into the dining room, it would be in your best interest to not let me think you don't care about all I do for your chapter.

So it would be appreciated if you'd get up.

The simple gesture may seem silly to some, but it speaks volumes.

And I need it to be louder.

3 comments:

Dawson's mommy said...

Amen sister! ;)

Terry said...

I feel the same way. Even if you do not know who I am, I am definitely older than you, so get your butt off the sofa, out of the chair or your legs uncrossed on the floor and stand up!!! It's a small thing but one of these days you might also appreciate the acknowledgement.

The Mills Gang said...

I would stand up for you.
Love you Little!