Thursday, June 24, 2010

“Truth will rise above falsehood as oil above water.”

David likes to grill.  And he's gotten pretty good at it too.

He looks everything up online to make sure he's timing it all right and the temperature is right and he's using the tips correctly (i.e., putting ice cubes in the foil with the butter when grilling corn; leaving pork chops out of the fridge for at least 20 minutes before grilling so as not to "shock" the meat)...and one of these tips is not to use Pam cooking spray on the grill, but instead, spread an oil on the grill using a paper towel.

My assumption?  Any oil could be used.  Vegetable, olive...whatever.  I have both of these in the cabinet above my stove in the kitchen.

While preparing to cook out the other night, he reaches over me to get something out of this cabinet.

I assume he's looking for one of the oils. 

But he bypasses these, pulling them out only to continue looking behind them for something else.

"What are you looking for?" I asked.

"Wesson oil," he tells me.

He's holding the generic grocery store brand of vegetable oil in his left hand, yet looking into the back of the cabinet.

Me: "What kind of Wesson oil?  That's the generic vegetable oil right there, and the olive oil is up there too somewhere."

My sometimes clueless husband: "It has to be Wesson oil."

Me, realizing quickly he doesn't realize it's just a brand name and wondering how long it will take for him to figure this out: "Honey, you're holding the vegetable oil.  Use that."

My now exasperated husband, sighs heavily and says, "Well, I hope it works the same and doesn't screw it up because it's vegetable oil and not Wesson oil."

Now it's my turn to sigh heavily...

No comments: