Monday, August 16, 2010

Recruitment 2010

Ahhhh, the post many of you have been hounding me for the last couple of days :)
although I'm sure if you have seen my facebook stuff, you are well aware of how well this year went.

But I can get a bit more detailed here than I can on facebook.

Work week ended with the annual alumnae skit night, and because this is my last recruitment as their adviser, I was given a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a nice little speech about me by good friend, Harlan Ross.  I was literally speechless after, and especially when everyone stood up for me.  I really felt appreciated for all the sleepless nights in August, compromising time at my full-time job on campus, and making my husband feel like a "Phi Mu widow" by helping with Epsilon Nu's recruitment since 2004...and Epsilon Beta's the two years before that...so needless to say, stepping down from doing anything at all, will make for a difficult August for me next year.  And yes, I'm well aware of the fact that I am not a pretty crier...
So then recruitment started...the first round is split into two days with 8 parties each.  The t-shirts are provided by Panhellenic, and all the chapters look the same.  The only difference obviously being the appropriate letters on the shirt.  This year, I wasn't too impressed with them, but at least we're cute girls, so they could pull it off.
Wednesday morning I was awoken early (4am early...) to learn of a few rush infractions the members had committed at some point in the previous two days...awesome.  I had to go to the house by 7am to remind them of certain rules, and that I would kick their asses if they had any more infractions.

House tour day (formerly known as 8 party day) went extremely well, and while it is normally our weakest return rate day, that was not the case this year...I'm used to releasing around 30-40 that night.  However, when I logged into the system that evening to see the numbers, I about hit the floor...we were to release over 150!  I had to call Panhellenic and confirm that number.  And I was told, "You guys skyrocketed today."  The members were thrilled when I told them.  It set the stage for the next day, skit day, a day they normally KILL.

And kill they did.  They performed the "campus' greatest recruitment skit" (as told to me by the panhellenic adviser) 6 times that day.  And had a little dance party afterward...
I was expecting a big release night after skit day, and it was.  About the same as the evening before.  So by this point, we had released 100 more than the we normally do. 

So on to pref day we went...
 (much thanks to my own pledge sister, Jennifer Helms Morgan, on making the cupcakes...they were great!)

The members wore pink dresses...different shades, but mainly hot pink.  It looked fabulous!
and then, the greatest bid day ever :)
Quota 54, Phi Mu receives 59

For my final recruitment, I went with the seniors to pick up the Phis at the Student Union...
as the sophomores waited in the heat outside the house for them...
and the juniors took pictures...

but here they come!
and I lagged behind cause honestly, it was the absolute hottest damn day of the year...
PC '10...!  All the new baby Phis.
PC '07...the seniors.  I remember vividly when this group pledged.  They are a fun group, and they will be missed once they graduate.  And yes, there are 30 seniors...!  Quite a bit different from when I was a freshman and the chapter only had TWO seniors!
And the entire chapter...it was difficult to get them all in one shot.  The total is now 175...
So that's it, I'm done!  I'm finishing my binder for the next recruitment adviser(s), and once that is completed, I will pass this on to them...maybe a little hesitantly, but with very little reservation.  I have had the absolute pleasure of getting to know these women over the last few years, some becoming good friends once they graduate, some even working for me on campus, and I will miss the opportunity to make connections like I have in the past.  But it is time for someone else to make those connections and positively influence the lives of these collegiate Phi Mus.

LIOB.

5 comments:

The Buxton's said...

Thank you so much for this! Is it silly that I get all teary eyed reading of EN's success...oh well who cares I'm proud to be an alum of such an amazing group! Kelsey you've certainly raised the bar for recruitment and it must be a wonderful feeling seeing the "fruits" of your labor...all 175 of them:)

blessedlife said...

I really LOVED this post. It is so fantastic to see how well we are doing, and to know that you are such an amazing advisor. What are we going to do next year without you??

Heather said...

Holy cow!!! That is sooo awesome!! Geez Kels, the next advisor has BIG shoes to fill!! I am soo happy we took quota additions! That's the best feeling ever!

All of your hard work over the past several years has paid off!!

Way to go out with a BANG!!

LIOB

Hubbs

Kara said...

This makes me miss OSU, and especially the house, so much! No one there now would have a clue who I am, of course, but everything about that place still means so much to me.

grace said...

You rocked it! And those Bid days shirts are the cutest!!! liob- grace