Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Austin=T.I.R.E.D.

So there were no dramatic occurrences while we took care of the nephew, Austin.  But he did wear us the hell out.  And showed us how our home, despite every effort we made prior to his arrival on Friday, is not for toddlers.  Wobbly walking ones too with all these wood floors and tile.  I feared for his life every time he took a step.

Austin's always been a great baby, and while I had him on my own Friday night, I was not anticipating having any problems.  We only had one blow out gross diaper (what is it with kids wanting to stand up and run away once the diaper is off but you haven't had a chance to really wipe everything away??  Another good reason I don't have carpet, I guess...)  but around bedtime, he wasn't having it.  I pride myself on getting babies to sleep, especially ones related to me, and getting him to sleep wasn't really the problem...it was when I went to lay him down.  And he'd wake up.  Screaming.bloody.murder.

This was ongoing for about an hour and a half.

Once I finally got him to sleep, I quickly realized how my 50 year old home with wood floors and a chiming-every-15-minutes-grandfather clock was SO.LOUD.  I barely slept as I was so worried he'd wake up at any moment (which he did a couple of times, but it didn't take long to get him asleep again).

How do you moms do this??  I couldn't take my eyes off him for a second or he had his fingers in a light socket in the dining room...

David got his turn alone with him Saturday.  But he didn't have any gross diapers, nor did he have any problems getting him down for his nap.

But all in all, it was a fun 24 hours.  Every time he saw Lil Bit, he'd start waving and clapping his hands with excitement.  We also entertained ourselves with the camera on my computer...



Maybe we should stick with cats for the time being...they don't wear me out as easily!

No comments: